Saturday, November 22, 2014

Reasons Why I Ignore My Kids' Christmas Lists



Yep, its getting about that time, when Christmas bells are ringing, and jingling. This is also around the time that our pockets get quite a bit lighter. About 2 weeks ago, the first toy catalog came in the mail, complete with a section for the kiddies to write their list...pretty clever advertising I must say so myself. So, they went at it, eyes glowing in awe of the hundreds of toys and not nearly enough slots on the list for everything they wanted. However, I guess they finally narrowed it down, and when I read them, it reminded me of why I ignore their Christmas lists every year.

Is that an iPhone? Yes, my 5 year old put an iPhone, an iPad, and an iPod, now that's too many dang "i's" for me. Now, I am a member of the "technology to keep my kids busy while I cook society", but there is no way that they are getting they're very own personal "i" anything. Nope, no way, no how.



Drum sets, keyboards, and doggie doo..oh my! Why do kids pick the loudest, most obnoxious toys they can find? If it's really loud, or poops and pees its right up their alley. No, no, no, we have a real dog that poops and pees entirely way too much, I don't need a toy that does the same. With four boys my house is already loud...do I really need the addition of artificial noise too??


We still have bills after Christmas. If I could, I would give my kids the world, but the reality is that we still have a mortgage to pay after the wrapping paper flies off. My kids would ask for the whole toy store if they could, but unless we'll be using that toy box to sleep in afterwards, we have to reign things in a little.


It's not all about the gifts. It's important to teach our kids that gifts and material things isn't what keeps us together. The love and laughter is what makes Christmas special, and brings us closer. As an adult I too forget this, and can sometimes get caught up on material things and price tags. I hope that while I'm teaching my kids a lesson, I hope that I teach myself a lesson too.

No comments:

Post a Comment